Four men were taken to a hospital from a Glendale apartment after apparently overdosing on the synthetic opioid Fentanyl, police said Friday.
Paramedics were sent to the residence on Columbus Avenue near Broadway about 11:30 p.m. Thursday, said Glendale police Sgt. Dan Suttles.
The men, in their 20s, were taken to a hospital for treatment, Suttles said. Two were treated and released and two were hospitalized in stable condition and were expected to survive. Their names were not released.
There were no arrests, and it was not immediately known if the men would face any criminal charges, Suttles said. The investigation was continuing.
A hazardous materials investigation was conducted at the scene and the first responders were examined by medical personnel, but none was determined to have been injured by coming into contact with the drug, Suttles said.
According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, Fentanyl is a powerful synthetic opioid that is similar to morphine but that is 50- to 100- times more potent. It is a prescription drug, and it is typically used to treat patients with severe pain or to manage pain after surgery.
For more San Fernando Valley crime news, one person was fatally shot and another was wounded at a party in Sylmar.